Monday, August 13, 2012

Adventures in Decorating!

I did it! I finally was able to design a feature area in our home from top to bottom! It is nearly complete and I LOVE IT!  

We have this wall adjacent to the kitchen that just seemed as if it was wasted space. It is an outside wall and has about 14 inches of clearance between it and the window sill.  So my vision was to create a "built-in" cabinet space.  My kitchen is really small and space was/is at a premium so the addition of this bank of cabinets was almost necessary in order for to function in the space.  Base cabinets are generally 36 inches deep so you ca have plenty of room to store things, well I didn't have that much room for my new addition so we got creative and used upper cabinets with a base built to lift them off the floor. 

I have had tons of ideas floating around in my head for how I want to finish the counter top and how I want to add shelving to the wall above.  First I wanted to do the counter top with tile, then I wanted granite, then I wanted just to paint it.  Well we thought we had finally decided on a copper top but after getting the base of the top created and on we almost like just the plain wood better.  So that is actually the last piece we have to decide on.  

So this is the final product for now!  We took some hold windows and hung them from the ceiling with hooks and some thick gauge wire.  The shelves are simply wrought iron corbels with glass on them.  This counter top is just an unfinished piece of wood right now but I like the way it looks.  It gives me a chance to not only have about twice as much storage but also a great feature wall.  I can't wait to decorate it for Fall and Christmas this year! 

Now I am on to my next project!  Decorating for Fall!!!  


 

No comments:

Post a Comment